Eating well is not synonymous with diet. Having a varied menu, with the presence of fruit and vegetables, and good habits can be the best advice for a healthy nutrition.
With Dr. Jesús Román, nutrition expert, and the people from the Spanish web service La Nevera Roja, here we share some tips, very useful to take care of your nutrition.
Tips for a healthy nutrition
- Plan the week: Plan your nutrition. Take pen and paper and write down the meals of the week for you and your family. They are just a few lines you can modify if necessary, but will allow you to get organized.
- Force yourself to choose healthy food: Eat daily a vegetable dish, 2 or 3 pieces of fruit, use olive oil to cook your food and choose wholemeal bread and pasta. Cook fish 2 or 3 times per week: blue fish is very nutritious and healthy. When selecting meat, choose lean and birds, try to eat legume dishes 1 or 2 times a week and, if possible, snack a handful of nuts.
- Be attentive to the preparation ways: Take care not only of the foods you eat, but also the way in which they are cooked. There are many which will go well almost always (baked, boiled, steamed, grilled, etc.) and others that should not be abused of (fried, with heavy sauces, etc.).
- Respect the customs: For example, never skip breakfast, and if you can, eat at the table with family or friends without distractions like television.
- Drink water: The main source of hydration for your body is water. Sodas and sugary drinks should be consumed sporadically. Fermented beverages (wine, beer, cider) can be consumed in moderation, 1 or 2 glasses daily.
- Bread is not fattening: A reasonable amount of bread will not hurt you and could even raise the profile of your diet, but try to choose the wholemeal one.
- Few sweets: A sweet dessert is ideal to celebrate something, but not good to be consumed daily. For your daily routine it is better to choose a piece of fruit.
- Watch your salt intake: Usually precooked meals will reach on their precise point of salt. So avoid using the salt shaker without tasting the food. This way you can avoid cardiovascular problems.
- Try new dishes: A varied diet is less boring and more appetizing.
- Discover the ritual of eating: Eat quietly, with the meal cold or hot depending on the type of dish... Enjoy your food!
As usual, in addition to a healthy diet, we recommend a couple of wines to please your palate :)
La Rioja Alta Gran Reserva 904 2004, a red wine from the Rioja DO with graciano and tempranillo of 2004 and presents an alcohol content of 12.5º.
José Pariente Verdejo 2014 is a white wine with DO Rueda from the Bodegas José Pariente cellar based on verdejo of 2014 and 13.5º of alcohol content.
*Image: La Nevera Roja