For some people, serving properly draft beer is an art. If this is not so, you tell it to Javier Sánchez, winner of the II Estrella Galicia National Championship of Professional Beer Serving. Sanchez provides a series of tips to know how to serve properly beer on tap.
- Experience and background. It is clear that, as in many other cases, to know how to serve beer some experience is needed. Sanchez works since 1987 in hospitality and has a long background in serving beers.
- Several variables. To properly serve beer, you must take into account a number of factors, such as the difference between tap and bottle beers, and also the type and origin of the beer.
- Preliminary steps. Before filling the jar or glass of beer, be sure to cool the glass. as it can avoid bad foaming.
- Position of the glass. When we proceed to fill the glass of beer, it must be at an angle of 45 degrees and then we'll gradually put it in vertical position. First you should keep in mind to create foam (We'll leave this step for later).
- The foam. It is important when drinking beer. It must be at the top and is usually obtained in the second step of beer serving. This is what clearly differentiates tap and bottle beers.
- Draft beer. The popular “cañas” served in Spanish bars are among the most appreciated. To serve it, you must open the tap by 25%. And it is said that the best “caña” is the one that has three layers of foam.
- Mistakes. When we see a very thick bubble in the beer, the serving has not been performed well. To correct this you have to remove the foam layer by pouring some more beer. It is quite common.
So, you see, it's the beer is as important as how it's served: mind it and... enjoy it!
Brouwerij ’t IJ Ijwit
Cerveza Brabante Oscura