All wines with Designation of Origin Binissalem-Mallorca are distinguished by characteristics given by native varieties in the area and mixing with foreign varieties.
The most cultivated varieties are:
- Inks: black Manto (main variety grown), Callet, Tempranillo, Monastrell, Cabernet Sauvignon, Syrah and Merlot.
- White: Moll or Prensal (main variety grown), Giró ros, Macabeo, Parellada, Chardonnay and Moscatel.
All certified wines must be made from grape varieties produced in the wine region of the Designation of Origin Binissalem-Mallorca and comply with the rules established in the Regulations of the Designation of Origin.
General characteristics of the wines:
- Young wines are white wines, rosé, red or sparkling whose period of aging in oak barrels do not reach the minimum time required for reserva and gran reserva categories.
- The red wines are classified in young or crianza, reserva and gran reserva. For its preparation 30% of the variety should be Black Mantle and a maximum of 30% of the variety Gorgollassa must be used.
- White wines: can be dry or sweet. For its elaboration, 50% of the native Moll or Prensal Blanc or 50% of Muscatel must be used.
- Rosé wines: for its elaboration, any authorized variety by the Regulation and a maximum of 30% of the Gorgollassa variety need to be used.
- The white sparkling wines: Must be at least 50% of the native white variety Moll.
- Pink sparkling wines: can be made from any variety authorized with a maximum of 30% of the variety Gorgollassa.
The time periods of aging red wines are:
- Crianza: They must have a minimum period of aging of 24 months, of which 6 must have passed in oak barrels.
- Reserva: They must have a minimum period of aging of 36 months, of which 12 must be spent in oak barrels and bottles the rest of the time.
- Gran Reserva: They must have minimum aging period of 60 months, which should be spent, at least, 18 in oak barrels, and the rest in bottles.
Veritas Vinyes Velles 2012: a red wine with Binissalem-Mallorca DO made with 2012 grapes and with an alcoholic strength of 15º.
Macià Batle Rosado 2015: a rosé wine with Binissalem-Mallorca DO harvested in 2015 and 13º of alcohol strength.